about me

I am a dedicated mother of a severely food allergic child. Every moment of every day is spent keeping him safe and preventing anaphylaxis. Follow me as I go through the ups and downs of this anaphylactic life. Please click "our story" below to read the beginning of this journey.

Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vegan strawberry shortcake!!!

I have really missed this summery dessert these past few years.  I found some dairy free whipped topping that is safe for Ash. I am going to also try to make my own whipped topping from coconut milk.  This shortcake recipe is more like light biscuits, but it is super yummy.

What you will need:
4 cups Fresh strawberries, cut up and mixed with 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, let sit for 30 minutes
I used Rich's Richwhip non dairy topping.  Its free of the top 8 allergens except for soy! You have to whip this yourself but it was well worth it! http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

Combine in a bowl with a wire whisk:
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

cut in with your fingers:
1/3 cup COLD dairy free shortening    Do this until is resembles a coarse meal. Then stir in 3/4 cup milk ( I use rice) until JUST combined.

Preheat oven to 425.  Shape the dough into a ball.  Knead for about 3 minutes and then roll it out to about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut out circles ( I used a glass tumbler).  Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet and bake until light golden brown (12-15 mins).  Cool slightly and slice them.  Top with strawberries and whipped topping!                                                       "mmmmmm mama"

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! We started homeschooling to avoid the bad asthma our son was experiencing. So far homeschooling is great!

    ReplyDelete